Uniform Reuse has put together information on the 'best practice' approaches to corporate wear, and guidance on how to improve the sustainability of this type of clothing. Our information will help designers, buyers, wearers and end-of-life processors, as we believe all parts of the supply chain play a vital role in helping to reduce the environmental impact of corporate wear.
Textile labelling for improved end-of-life management
Labelling of products can be a great boon for many of the stakeholders across the clothing industry. It can act as a marketing tool for sales, a driver for improved sustainable practices, and is a practical way to inform the customer about a garment.
Eco-labelling can be used in all these ways, but knowing which labels are effective, and what they cover, can be tricky. Over 40 eco-labels are available on textiles, covering a whole range of objectives, from minimal or zero use of hazardous chemicals, to organic cotton sourcing and fair/ethical working practices. We found just five which give any reference to end-of-life management.
Benefits of using eco-labels
- To establish the link between government policies and procurement policies.
- To encourage innovation in technology and production processes to minimise impact on the environment.
- To raise consumer (companies’ and individuals’) awareness of environmentally benign products.
- To encourage preference for environmentally benign products in public and private procurement leading to:
- A ‘greening’ of the market
- A competitive advantage for participants in eco-labelling schemes
- More eco-efficient use of products not labelled as such, by increasing awareness of sustainable practice
The ‘Product Labelling for EoL Management’ report discusses these benefits in detail, along with some of the more effective labels currently in use by industry and the barriers affecting extended use. See the summary report for an overview.
Product Labelling for Improved End-of-Life Management - Summary. An investigation to determine the feasibility of garment labelling to enable better end-of-life management of corporate clothing. View a summary pdfDownload pdf (49kB)
Product Labelling for Improved End-of-Life Management - Full Report. An investigation to determine the feasibility of garment labelling to enable better end-of-life management of corporate clothingDownload pdf (3177kB)